Experiential learning is the process of learning through experience. This can range from conducting informational interviews or job shadowing a company, volunteering, or doing an internship. Experiential learning can help you learn more about the world of work and what you want to do after graduation as well as giving you the experience and skills to add to your resume and make you more marketable in the job market.
An informational interview is a meeting with someone working in a field you are interested so you can learn more about the field and how someone in the field got their start. This is one of the most effective ways to find what it’s like to work in a specific occupation. Meet with the Experiential Learning Coordinator to brainstorm companies to approach, go over sample interview questions and strategies for a successful informational interview.
Job shadowing is a work experience option where students learn about a job by walking through the work day as a shadow to someone working in their field of interest. The job shadowing work experience is a temporary, unpaid exposure to the workplace in an occupational area of interest to the student. Meet with the Experiential Learning Coordinator to brainstorm companies to approach and strategies for a successful job shadow experience.
Internships enhance the education of Red Rocks Community College students by placing students in work experiences related to their academic major or minor. The RRCC Experiential Learning Coordinator works closely with students and employers to match students’ skills and classroom training with positions in business, governmental agencies and non-profit organizations. The Internship Program also works directly with faculty to ensure that internships meet the educational needs of our students.
Visit Career Connect to view current Internship Opportunities. Local organizations are adding new internships opportunities weekly. Need help finding an internship site? Meet with the Experiential Learning Coordinator to brainstorm potential internship opportunities.
- Red Rocks Community College Student
- One to two semesters of RRCC coursework
- Minimum GPA of 2.0
What are the Benefits of an Internship?
- Earn Credit
- Gain Experience
- Expand Your Professional Network and References
- Be First In Line for Related Job Openings
- Attend the Internship Fair on Tuesday, March 21st from 10:30am-1:00pm on The Bridge in Lakewood. Pre-register for a chance to win a free three credit course by emailing your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make an appointment with the Experiential Learning Coordinator to discuss a variety of ways to find an internship.
- Current Internship Opportunities as of February 21, 2017
- STEM Internship/Co-op/Research Experience for Undergraduates (REUs)/Fellowship Opportunities
- Make an appointment with the Experiential Learning Coordinator and attend an Internship Orientation.
- You will not be able to register for your internship course until you have completed your Internship Orientation and required internship paperwork.
- Faculty Recommendation
- Timesheets (Timesheet Log or Weekly Diary Timesheet)
- Internship Site Supervisor Evaluation
- Student Evaluation
Every employer wants experience, but how do you get that experience? Consider volunteering. You can develop job skills and gain experience even when you are not receiving a paycheck. Plus, you can choose to spend your time helping an organization that supports a cause you are excited about!
Volunteering gives you the opportunity to try out the type of work you might consider for a career. What do you want to explore? Do you want to sample the medical field, education, television production or hospitality? Do you want to work with children, seniors, animals, art, computers or numbers? Do you want to work in an office, a school, a gallery or the great outdoors? Through volunteering you can gain experience in almost any field and help your community at the same time.
There are a variety of volunteer opportunities available throughout the community. Below are some volunteer opportunities websites.
Need help finding other volunteer opportunities? Meet with the Experiential Learning Coordinator to brainstorm potential volunteer opportunities.
Experiential Learning Coordinator Contact:
Room 1264 in the Learning Commons