Office of Disability Services Concerns and Grievances
Office of Disability Services is committed to providing the highest quality of services to students, faculty and staff of Red Rocks Community College. If you have specific concerns regarding your accommodations or services, students should first meet with the Director. If they are not satisfied with the results, students should exercise their rights to file as grievance as indicated in the Student Handbook.
Disability Services: Grievance Procedures for Individuals with Disabilities and Title IX
The Community College of Allegheny County has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights, regulations implementing Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended, (29 U.S.C. 794), and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibit discrimination on the basis of handicap.
Complaints should be addressed to Esther M. Mason, Compliance Coordinator, Community College of Allegheny County, 1750 Clairton Road, West Mifflin, PA 15122, Phone 412.469.6215 (voice), 412.469.6005 (TTY), who has been designated to coordinate the college's compliance activities pursuant to the above noted regulations.
- A complaint should be filed in writing, contain the name and address of the person filing it, and briefly describe the alleged violation of the regulations.
- A complaint should be filed within 45 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation. Processing of allegations of discrimination which occurred before this grievance procedure was in place will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow the filing of the complaint. The investigation shall be conducted by Esther M. Mason. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigation, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by Esther M. Mason and a copy forwarded to the complainant no later than 45 days after its filing.
- The College's designated compliance coordinator shall maintain the files and records of the Community College of Allegheny County relating to the complaints filed.
- The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made within 30 days to Functional Dean for Supportive Services for Student with Disabilities at the Community College of Allegheny County. A written determination, if any, shall be issued by the Dean and a copy to Esther M. Mason and the complainant no later than 30 days after the request for reconsideration.
- The rights of a person to a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed hereunder shall not be impaired by the person's pursuit of other remedies such as the filing of a Section 504 or Title IX complaint with the responsible Federal department or agency. Utilization of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- These rules shall be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons, to meet appropriate due process standards, and to assure that the Community College of Allegheny County is complying with Section 504 and Title IX and their implementing regulations.