Thank you for inquiring about the IV Approval for Emergency Medical Technician - Basic course at Red Rocks Community College. This program follows the Colorado state approved curriculum for IV approval. It consists of 20 hours of classroom instruction (lecture and skills) and one or more clinical shifts in a hospital. Upon successful completion of the class, EMT's who are working in the field may be authorized by their physician advisor to initiate IV therapy, and administer fluids or 50% dextrose to patients.
Please refer to the college
schedule for exact registration dates, class dates, times, class location
and tuition and fees. The course is listed as EMS
130 - EMT Intravenous Therapy.
A clinical shift is also required and will be scheduled after the classroom component. Upon completion of the clinical and documentation of 10 successful IV starts, students will receive a course completion certificate.
Course costs are based upon 2 credits, plus additional fees for clinicals and insurance. A textbook is required, and is available in the Red Rocks Community College bookstore.
Students must have a current Colorado EMT-Basic Certificate. Students are admitted on a first come-first served basis. If you are interested in attending the EMT-Basic IV Therapy Course, you must schedule an appointment with a faculty member. The following information must be brought to the appointment:
- A signed EMS application.
- A copy of your current Colorado State EMT-Basic certification.
By the first day of class, students will need the following:
- A completed Physical Examination form, signed by a health care provider, documenting that you do not have any condition that would endanger your health or that of your patients during IV training. Proof of vaccinations and a recent TB test are also required.
- A CPR course and become certified at either the Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer level.
- A completed background check through American DataBank at http://www.healthcareex.com. (The fee for the background investigation is *$59.00). Information will be forwarded to Red Rocks Community College regarding your eligibility for enrollment.
*Subject to change.
EMT-Basic IV Application
Please download the Application Packet for more details and required forms.
To schedule an
enrollment appointment, please contact the instructor, Steven Brown, directly at 303.914.6441 or email@example.com. Once you have completed the enrollment appointment you will receive a permission slip to enroll.