The College Gateway Program: Results
(These are preliminary results from a program evaluation by W. Neil Gowensmith, PhD at the University of Denver.)
How do current Gateway students fare?
Better quality of life? You bet:
- 78% have developed new friends since joining Gateway
- 84% now engage in new activities during their spare time
- 26% spend more than 11 hours per week on the RRCC campus
- 35% are involved in the Red Rocks Outreach Community Club
- 58% will go on to enroll at Red Rocks Community College
What skills do Gateway students learn?
- 20%: Computer skills
- 31%: Employment / occupational skills
- 67%: Relationship skills (parenting, relationship, etc.)
- 80%: Communication skills
What factors do students say are most important about Gateway?
What do graduates say about Gateway?
- “I now have a better idea about what I want to do: continue my education.”
- “It helped me find myself and more.”
- “You all gave me hope.”
- “I moved on and have taken off in a new direction.”
- “Gateway helped me discover myself.”
- “They put me on track.”
In short, Gateway works!
- Gateway starts with the toughest population
- They instill hope through support
- They retain and graduate students
- They prepare students for school and jobs
- They reduce recidivism and substance abuse
- They improve quality of life
- Attends to the “Central Eight” criminogenic factors of offenders
- Utilizes the Risk-Need-Responsivity model
- A surprise element…?