Category: Personnel Title: Sick Leave Number: RRPR 3-61
Sick leave is for the purpose of providing protection of income when injury or illness requires an employees absence from work. It is not to be viewed as compensation enhancement. Unplanned absences from work place additional responsibilities and workloads on our fellow employees; as such, we are each accountable for our decisions and actions in how we use our sick leave benefit.
Contractual employees will accrue sick leave in accordance with BP 3-60:
- Regular Faculty (Probationary and Non-Probationary): Ninety (90) hours per year, credited at the beginning of the contract period.
- Limited Contract Faculty: Ten (10) hours per calendar month for each month of the contract period.
- Administrators and Technical Professionals: Ten (10) hours per month, credited on a monthly basis.
Classified employees will accrue sick leave in accordance with State Personnel Board Procedures, Chapter 7, Article 2.
Sick leave will be granted to contractual employees for absence from duty which is required by illness of the employee; injury to the employee not covered by Workers Compensation; or other health-related condition of the employee, subject to the following provisions:
- Sick leave will be granted for absence from duties during the period (dates) of the employees contract/appointment and for absence from duties during extra assignments beyond the aforementioned contract/appointment period, only if that extra assignment is for a full academic term; i.e., fall semester, spring semester, summer term, or equivalent.
- Sick leave will not be granted for absence from duty under an overload appointment.
- Regular Faculty, Administrators, and Technical Professionals will be granted a maximum of forty (40) hours per year sick leave for absence due to illness or injury of a family member or dependent. Family member and dependent are defined as the employees child including a foster or step-child or an adult child incapable of self care; parent including an individual who filled the role of a parent; spouse; legal dependent for whom the employee is the primary caregiver; brother, sister, or a person living in the employees household for whom the employee is the primary caregiver.
- A maximum of sixteen (16) hours per year sick leave may be granted to Regular Faculty for personal reasons.
- Sick leave will be charged at a rate of eight (8) hours per day for each day of absence for Regular Faculty and Limited Contract Faculty. Regular Faculty and Limited Contract Faculty whose work schedule is more or less than a five (5) day work week will have their hours of absence deducted on a pro-rated basis. Sick leave will be charged on an hour-for-hour-missed basis for administrators and technical professionals.
Classified employees will be granted sick leave after the employee has completed one full month of service. Sick leave will be granted for medical examinations and treatment (including dental, optical, auditory, mental, alcoholism and drug addiction treatments), conditions of pregnancy causing physical inability to work, illness, or injury not covered by injury leave. An employee may also use up to 520 hours of accrued sick leave for the medical examination or treatment, illness, or injury of a member of the employees immediate family.
For purposes of using sick leave for a family member: "family member" is defined as the employees child including a foster or step-child or an adult child incapable of self-care; parent including an individual who filled the role of a parent; spouse; legal dependent for whom the employee is the primary caregiver; OR a person living in the employees household for whom the employee is the primary caregiver.
Sick leave must be approved by the employees immediate supervisor using the Request and Authorization for Leave form and submitted to either the Office of Human Resources or Payroll in a timely manner.
Contractual employees absent for more than three (3) consecutive days may be required to submit a certification statement by a qualifying healthcare provider certifying the need for their absence.
Classified employees are required to submit a doctors statement when an employee is absent from work for four (4) or more consecutive days. This applies regardless of whether the employee is using sick leave for personal illness or for the illness of an immediate family member.
We are in room 1025 at the Lakewood Campus. Our phone is 303.914.6570.