Red Rocks Community College
More information: Kim Rein
September 17, 2009
LAKEWOOD, CO – Red Rocks Community College celebrated their 40th anniversary Wednesday at a Woodstock-inspired event at their Lakewood campus for all staff, retirees, students, and alumni.
Party on the Rocks - 4 1/2 hours of Peace and Music drew a crowd of about 700 and featured live music from RRCC staff band Staff Infection and local classic rock band Kristin Kay, a drum circle, face painting, henna tattoos, a free BBQ, 60s trivia, and prizes.
The event was designed to commemorate the establishment of Red Rocks Community College, who opened their doors on September 22, 1969 at 1209 Quail Street in Lakewood. The college was named Community College of Denver – West Campus at the time. In 1973, the school moved to their current location at 13300 W. 6th Avenue in Lakewood. The name officially changed to Red Rocks Community College in 1983. A campus location was opened in Arvada in 1990, and this campus moved into their permanent home at 5420 Miller Street in 2001.
A years-worth of activities are planned to mark the 40th anniversary, including theatre productions of retro plays Moonchildren and Butterflies are Free, a brochure and timeline gallery highlighting the college’s history, nostalgic photo exhibits, landscaping projects, dedication of a sculpture, and an RRCC Foundation fundraiser next spring.
Since 1969, Red Rocks Community College has delivered quality education to students of all ages and backgrounds. RRCC offers more than 300 programs leading to two-year degrees or professional certificates and is a leader in delivering curriculum in high-demand fields such as Renewable Energy. RRCC serves over 14,000 students per year at campus locations in Lakewood and Arvada.
# # #