Workers' Compensation

Red Rocks Community College is committed to meeting its obligation under Colorado's Workers' Compensation Act to provide medical, rehabilitation, and wage-replacement benefits to employees who sustain work-related injuries or illnesses. It is imperative that we all work together to help you return to work as soon as physically possible. Helping employees recover from an injury is in the best interest of both the employee and Red Rocks Community College.

What constitutes an injury?

Any time you are injured or incur an illness coincidental with the job, it is considered a worker's comp claim. This includes injuries from falling while on campus or in the parking lot.

What to do when an injury occurs:

  • If the accident is serious, call 911 or the campus police. 
  • If the accident is not life threatening, go HR and file a report.
  • Human Resources will have you fill out a First Report of Injury as soon as possible and will give you authorization to receive medical treatment at Concentra Medical Centers.
  • Ensure that any witnesses also complete a Witness Statement Report with the campus police.

If the injury causes lost time from work:

If the injury causes you to be away from work for at least three days, there will be a lost time injury claim.

  • A human resources representative will contact you to keep informed of your condition and your plans to return to work.
  • Your claims adjuster will contact you to answer any questions you may have about your benefits.
  • You will receive two-thirds of your salary while you are unable to work due to an injury.
  • A light- or modified-duty assignment may be necessary to help you return to work as soon as possible. If this is the case, the executive director of human resources, the human resources specialist, and your supervisor will work together to determine what is appropriate.

If you have any questions about worker's compensation, please contact Michele McCall at 303.914.6297.