Hours and Location | Spring 2017
Lakewood Campus Hours
Monday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Tuesday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Thursday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Writing Center Phone Number (Lakewood): 303-914-6714
Arvada Campus Hours
Monday & Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Tuesday & Thursday: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Online Writing Center
Available 24 hours, 7 days a week with a 36 hour response/turnaround.
Red Rocks Community College’s Writing Center is committed to helping students learn to write better. Our tutors are available to work with students in any subject area to improve their writing skills, offering them strategies and resources for succeeding in any kind of writing assignment.
Our tutors work one-on-one with students in every stage of the writing process, from planning to drafting, revision, and editing. The aim of the Writing Center is to focus on the process of developing more confident and competent writers, rather than to help perfect the end product of a writing assignment.
The Writing Center is open to RRCC students, faculty, and staff interested in improving their writing.
Tutors will help students with any type of writing project:
- Research papers
- Response assignments
- Multimedia project/Digital writing
- Works cited/Annotated bibliographies
- Creative writing (poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction)
- Case studies
- Scholarship essays/Personal statements
- Résumés/Cover letters
Tutors will help students in any of the college departments:
- To understand the assignment
- To brainstorm ideas and form a working thesis statement
- To determine an appropriate structure
- To improve detailing, expansion, and development of the assignment
- To identify patterns of grammar, usage, and punctuation errors
- To identify slang or colloquial language
- To consider stylistic improvements (repetitions/structure/vocabulary)
- To use a consistent and appropriate point of view (person) for the assignment
- To learn methods of documentation, i.e. MLA, APA, Chicago
- To revise by their instructors’ directions
- To write resumes, cover letters, and business communication
- To construct college entrance and scholarship application essays
- The Writing Center is available to registered RRCC students and RRCC employees.
- Tutoring sessions are limited to 30 minutes.
- Students are limited to one session per day for each writing project, and to no more than two sessions per day.
- Students can see a tutor up to three times for each project.
- We require that students bring a printed copy of their writing unless they are working on a multimedia or digital writing assignment.
- We strongly advise students to bring their instructor’s writing assignment with them to the tutoring session, and any writing (drafts, outlines, etc.) they have already done on the assignment.