Visual Arts at Red Rocks Community College
The mission of the Visual Arts department is to inspire the creative and thoughtful investigation of studio skills, cultivate original ideas, develop professionalism and encourage a life-long appreciation of the arts. Our classes are supportive of the diverse educational and professional needs of students with a wide range of goals.
We offer day, evening, weekend, hybrid and online classes to meet the needs of a variety of students whether they are general studies students, art majors, professional artists or life-long learners. We offer a strong foundation that is ideal for both degree and non-degree students.
A number of our courses are guaranteed to transfer to Colorado state colleges and universities. Our courses also fulfill the core humanities requirements. Classes range from introductory subjects for those who have little or no art background, to advanced classes for those with varying degrees of experience in the arts.
• Small studio classes provide ample individual instruction in a supportive environment.
• Flexible scheduling includes day, evening, weekend, online and hybrid classes.
• Our faculty are professional artists with years of experience teaching and making art.
• We attract a diverse student body with a wide range of backgrounds and experience.
• Students receive instruction in a variety of skill sets that have a broad application in the visual arts as well as a number of other disciplines.
• Drawing is taught as a primary skill needed for any discipline involving visual arts, ranging from graphic novels to movies and beyond.
• 2D and 3D design concepts have applications in any profession that deals with shape, color and space, such as theater, interior design, architectural design, landscaping and more.
• The Susan K. Arndt Gallery presents annual student and faculty exhibitions as well the work of local and national artists.
• Visiting artists provide free lectures and demonstrations.