Applying for Financial Aid (FAFSA)
In order to be considered for all aid programs and to maximize the amount of aid you may qualify for, students should complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) by the priority dates listed. Under no circumstances should you pay someone to file a FAFSA for you. Any claims made by individuals guaranteeing financial aid are false.
To receive aid for:
September 1, 2015
February 1, 2016
April 1, 2016
|Spring 2017||September 1, 2016|
|Summer 2017||February 1, 2017|
Deadlines for applying: The U.S. Department of Education will process your FAFSA if received before June 30 of the current academic year. In order to receive aid for the academic year you are applying, RRCC must have a correct and complete application before your last day of enrollment. It's important to apply early to make sure you leave enough time for RRCC to receive your information and to make any necessary corrections. Students need only to apply once each academic year for financial which consists of Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. FAFSA applications available in January are for the upcoming academic year.
Steps to Apply for Financial Aid
- Create an FSA ID www.pin.ed.gov
- Your U.S. Department of Education FSA ID is your key to financial aid on the Web and is how the U.S. Department of Education identifies you online. You will use your FSA ID to access many different services throughout your educational career. Once the Social Security Administration verifies your information in one to three days, you will be able to use your FSA ID to access the websites. For help, visit StudentAid.gov/fsaid.
- Parents of dependent students must also obtain their own FSA ID. Click here for the Parent's Guide to Important Financial Aid Information.
- Your FSA ID will allow you to sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically.
- Use your FSA ID to check the status of your electronic FAFSA or to make online changes to your FAFSA.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA can be submitted online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- For priority consideration, Red Rocks Community College must have received your FAFSA by the respective priority date for the term that you are going to enroll. If you miss the priority consideration date, you should still submit a FAFSA as soon as possible.
- You may report estimated tax figures on your FAFSA. You will be given the opportunity to make corrections at a later date.
- Sign your FAFSA.
- Submit the FAFSA even if you are in process of applying for admission.
- If you need help to fill out your FAFSA, please call 303-914-6256 to make an appointment.
- Apply for admissions to Red Rocks Community College.
- Colorado Residents should be sure that they have registered with the Colorado Opportunity Fund.
- Search and apply for private scholarships.
What happens after I apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA)?
- The Federal Processor will allow RRCC access to your FAFSA information once you have included our school code (009543) on your FAFSA application. If additional documentation is required to complete your file, we will notify you via your cccs.edu e-mail account. (If you are selected for verification, please click on the verification link for further details.
- Frequently check your financial aid status on line at "The Rock" student portal. Respond promptly to any requests for additional information or documentation. Responding in a timely manner will speed up the processing of your file. If you have applied by the priority dates listed, you should receive notification of your award before the start of classes.
- The Federal processor will send you your Student Aid Report (SAR) via U.S. mail or electronically. It will be a summary of your FAFSA data.
- Verify that all the information on the SAR is correct. If you need to make corrections, do so online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- When submitting documents to the Financial Aid Office, make sure to provide the student's name and student ID number as well as signatures on all documents. For dependent students, make sure parents sign tax and verification documents.
- Once we receive and evaluate all documentation, we will notify you of your financial aid award by student email and online through "The Rock" student portal.