Frequently Asked Questions

New Assessment Test Started February 29, 2016

The new Community College Placement Test (CCPT)  was developed the Colorado Community College System to determine placement into most courses. Exceptions are ESL courses.

If you have already taken the Accuplacer, don't worry. Your scores are good for course placement. However, we no longer give the Accuplacer exam for placement into most courses.

If you’re a new student, the state of Colorado requires you take a Community College Placement Test (CCPT) before you can enroll in classes (unless you qualify for an exemption). This assessment will help us place you in the right courses when you start at Red Rocks Community College.

What scores do I need for placement?

The CCPT Score Matrix can be viewed or downloaded here.

How will assessment help me?

Assessment will help determine your skill levels in English and Math. Placement information will assist you in selecting courses in which you are likely to succeed. If you feel you have either a learning disability or physical disability which might adversely affect your test results, you should contact the Accessibility Services at 303.914.6733 before testing.

Who must be assessed?

Matriculation requires that all new students to college be assessed in English and Math. Students are exempt from placement testing and assessment if they have earned an Associate or Bachelor Degree (from US College or University) or have completed college course work in English and Math (college transcript proof required.)

All students must be assessed if they plan to:

  • Earn a degree or certificate;
  • Enroll in any English or Math courses
  • Enroll in any core level course.
  • Under the age of 21 (Department of Education requirement)

Can I use my transcript from another college instead of testing?

Courses can be used to meet prerequisites.  Courses must meet the prerequisite requirement, courses description and pass with a “C” or higher.

Official transcripts may be mailed directly from your previous college(s), emailed from your college or they may be hand carried in a sealed envelope. If you open the envelope it will be considered unofficial.

Official Transcripts can be mailed to:
Melodie Moll
Student Records, Box 8
Red Rocks Community College
13300 W 6th Ave
Lakewood CO 80228-1255

Can I use ACT or SAT scores for placement?

If you have qualifying ACT or SAT scores from within the past five years for Reading & English and within the past two years for Math, please supply your score report and we will enter those scores for you. 

How do I retrieve my test results and placements?

  • Go to and click on “The Rock” icon;
  • You will need to sign in with your Student ID# and password;
  • Then you will need to click on your Student Tab;
  • Look for Degree Check at bottom left hand corner of the page and click on the “Degree Check!” icon;  
  • A screen appears with your placement test scores and any exemptions or prior college coursework that has been entered.

What are the re-test policies?

The first time you take the placement test it is free. The second retest can be taken as early as one week from the first test date.

An additional retest will require approval from the Learning Commons (minimum 3 week waiting period) for the third (final) test attempt.