Prior Learning Assessment
RRCC offers Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) opportunities in compliance with the policies established by the Colorado Community College System (CCCS). These system-wide policies are described on the CCCS Prior Learning Assessment pages.
How Can I get started?
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Credit includes learning acquired from work and life experiences; community and volunteer extension courses; individual study and reading; civic, community and volunteer work; and participation in informal courses and in-service training sponsored by associations, business, government, and industry. PLA Credit is not awarded for EXPERIENCE, but for college-level LEARNING that entails knowledge, skills, and competencies that students have obtained as a result of their prior learning experience. To get started, go to: https://placredit.com and signup. When you have completed the questionnaire, an advisor will contact you.
Students can receive PLA credit through:
- Portfolio of learning/certificates
- College Level Exam (CLEP)/DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)
- Challenge Exam offered through some academic departments
- Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate testing
Follow the links above for details on each CPL process.
Alternative Credit Project
If you have stopped out of college, the Alternative Credit Project (ACP) provides a pool of online courses that Red Rocks Community College (RRCC) will accept towards your degree (up to 45 ACP credits towards your Associate Degree and up to 50% of the credits required for a certificate).
To be eligible to apply for PLA:
- You must be a RRCC Student
- PLA credit must be directly applicable to your declared certificate or degree program as outlined in the RRCC Catalog
- Prior learning must be demonstrated and cover specific course competencies
- It is the student's responsibility to determine the transferability of PLA credits outside the Colorado Community College System
- Your RRCC transcript will show class credit only; no grades are assigned to PLA credit
- You may receive PLA credit in any amount not to exceed 75% of the total credits required for your degree or certificate
Advisors are available to answer your questions about the PLA process and for referrals to the correct faculty to consult for your PLA credit.
*You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.