Prior Learning Assessment
RRCC offers Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) opportunities in compliance with the policies established by the Colorado Community College System (CCCS). These system-wide policies are described on the CCCS Prior Learning Assessment pages.
Students can receive PLA credit through:
- Portfolio of learning/certificates
- College Level Exam (CLEP) offered through the college board in specific subject areas
- Challenge Exam offered through some academic departments
- Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate testing
Follow the links above for details on each CPL process.
Alternative Credit Project
If you have stopped out of college, the Alternative Credit Project (ACP) provides a pool of online courses that Red Rocks Community College (RRCC) will accept towards your degree (up to 45 ACP credits towards your Associate Degree and up to 50% of the credits required for a certificate).
To be eligible to apply for PLA:
- You must be a RRCC Student
- PLA credit must be directly applicable to your declared certificate or degree program as outlined in the RRCC Catalog
- Prior learning must be demonstrated and cover specific course competencies
- It is the student's responsibility to determine the transferability of PLA credits outside the Colorado Community College System
- Your RRCC transcript will show class credit only; no grades are assigned to PLA credit
- You may receive PLA credit in any amount not to exceed 75% of the total credits required for your degree or certificate
The Assessment Center staff are available to answer your questions about the PLA process and for referrals to the correct faculty to consult for your PLA credit.
*You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.