Overriding Prerequisites

A prerequisite is a requirement that must be met before you can enroll in certain courses.

How do I find Prerequisites?

Prerequisites are listed in the course descriptions in the catalog and/or in the current schedule.

How do I meet the Prerequisite requirement?

You can meet a prerequisite with previous college coursework or one of the following test scores.

1. Previous College Coursework

Prior college level credit earned from a regionally accredited university or college completed with a grade of "C-" or higher.

  • Prove you have taken the required pre-requisite at another accredited institution by providing us with your official transcript. 

You may begin with an unofficial transcript to be used to override a pre-requisite which would allow you to register for classes.

We will then need an official transcript. If you do not send an official transcript a registration and transcript hold will be placed on your student account.

Official transcripts may be mailed directly from your previous college(s), emailed from your college or they may be hand carried in a sealed envelope. If you open the envelope it will be considered unofficial.

Your UNOFFICIAL transcript should be:

Upload your transcript and include your name, student number (S#), and the course(s) you wish to register for. Your request may take up to 5 business days, please plan ahead.


You may meet with an Advisor at either the Lakewood or Arvada campus to discuss your academic plan and the prerequisites you will need. Bring a copy of your transcript(s).

In order to have your courses transferred into Red Rocks, you must send an official transcript to our Records Department

2. Test Scores - any of the following

Send any of the following along with your Student number (S#) to assessment.center@rrcc.edu:

  • Academic placement test scores (less than 5 years old)
  • Appropriate SAT/ACT scores (less than 5 years old)
  • High School transcript documenting Chemistry courses, 2 semesters with grades of C or better
  • AP test scores
  • CLEP scores
  • DSST scores

In certain subject areas, a prerequisite override may be an option. Please see the appropriate campus academic department if you feel this applies to you.