Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions:

What services do academic advisors provide?

  • Academic Advising – Assist you in identifying what courses are needed to fill academic requirements.
  • Guidance – Help undeclared majors choose the next course of action.
  • Information – Provide information for course sequencing and prerequisites.
  • Assessment – Help you choose appropriate courses and programs based on assessment results.
  • Referrals – Refer students to faculty for further program information and assistance in choosing a major.
  • Semester/Degree Planning – Assist with planning a semester schedule before registration.
  • Transfer Assistance– Program plan for students intending to transfer to a four-year school.
  • Graduation Evaluation– Evaluate courses to make sure you meet graduation requirements for your degree.

When should I see an advisor?

You should meet with an advisor at least once a year and whenever:

  • You have filled out an application and completed a placement test or submitted your ACT scores or transcripts
  • You want to change or declare your major
  • You want assistance selecting your classes prior to registration
  • You want to know how adding/dropping or withdrawing from courses will affect your academic standing
  • You are having difficulties in your classes and would like to see what resources are available to you
  • You are on academic suspension or probation
  • You want to discuss transfer programs
  • You want to investigate career options
  • You need clarification of a college policy or procedure
  • You are considering changing your academic focus or direction
  • You think you are close to graduating

What if I have a quick question for advising and/or don’t have time to wait?

Emailing the advising office is a great way to get your questions answered without having to stop by the advising office.  You will receive a response within 48 business hours from the time it was received.  Please note that students should utilize their student email account ( due to privacy laws and policies. If you are a new student and don't have a student email account yet, you can use your personal email for general questions. Click the Ask an Advisor link to the right if you’d like to email an advisor.

How do I schedule an advising appointment?

To schedule an advising appointment “Schedule an Appointment".  You can also schedule an appointment in person by stopping by the advising office front desk or calling 303.914.6275.

Do I need to meet with an advisor every semester to register?

You are not required to meet with an advisor prior to registering for classes. However, meeting with an advisor can help to ensure that you achieve your educational and professional goals in a timely and cost-effective manner. Setting up an appointment with an academic advisor to create a degree plan can keep you on track and let you know what classes you need to complete and achieve your goal, whether it’s to earn a certificate, associate’s degree, or to transfer to a four-year college/university.

What courses should I take?

Degree Programs

*Students interested in Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degrees or certificates can view the requirements on the department website or schedule an advising appointment.

Prerequisite Requirements

  • Test scores must be less than five years old and transcripts must be on file prior to registration.
  • Check out the list of courses that require English prerequisites. All math and many science classes require additional math prerequisites.
  • One of following prerequisites will be required to register for General Education Courses:
    • English ACT of 18 or higher
    • Placement test results in Reading Skills of 96 or higher and Essay Score 5
    • Placement test results in Reading Skills of 80 or higher and Essay Score 6
    • ENG 090, CCR 092, or CCR 094 with a "S/C" or better

Where do I go for tutoring?

RRCC has different tutoring options to support learning. Visit RRCC Tutoring for more information.

Where do I go to explore career options?

RRCC offers career counseling, as well as career exploration services.

For job and internship opportunities, Career Success Center

Where do I go to find information on transferring to a four-year school?

Red Rocks Community College is proud to have transfer agreements with some of the best colleges and universities in the state of Colorado.

Your AA or AS Degree will transfer to all Colorado public 4-year colleges and universities if you complete your AA or AS degree with a C or better, and the remaining 60 credit hours will be completed at the four-year public institution of your choice. Be advised that many majors at the four-year school require specific courses, and that must be completed as part of the AA or AS degree. Also, note that some majors may exceed the typical 120 credits required to graduate. Please see an academic advisor for specific college to college course planning. Check out our online Transfer Guide for more information about transferring.

What should my parents/guardians know about the privacy of my student records?

FERPA – Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. FERPA is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of student records.

Why is this important to parents?

If a parent or guardian inquires on behalf of a Red Rocks student, the parent or guardian can expect to receive only general college policies and procedures information from campus offices. Only a student has full access to his/her records. Students can access these records in person or through the college portal The Rock.

If a student would like his/her parent or guardian to be able to access student record information they will need to fill out a FERPA release form with admissions.

How do I schedule a campus tour?

Visit our online scheduling form for more information to schedule a group or individual tour.